Thursday 23 September 2010

Developing a style

Another faulting step forward.  I have started to draw more than just the face.  I still have a long way to go before I am happy with what I am producing but I have to say I am making progress.  

I now date the sketches that I make, not for any vain glory but rather as a means of judging the progress or lack of it I am making.  I only started this in September so it far too early to say how successful this is in helping me develop.  However, the skills I have started to develop over the past month are;  first - start to make the drawing a true likeness ( this is a prerequisite for a portrait and is a difficult skill to master!);  second - to add some depth to the drawing - to give the illusion that drawing is more than a selection of graphite marks on a piece of paper.

One final thing.  To my great surprise I have discovered that I really enjoy the creation of a real object - something you can touch and smell rather than a virtual object.  Now this may seem somewhat strange given that I also like the use of digital post production.  But this is not the end of the production as I then make a print which is what I feel is the final object.  God I am series of contradictions - much the same as every other person on the planet - long may it be so.
 

Simon Marchini LRPS

Posted via email from SIMON's posterous

No comments: