Wednesday 15 September 2010

Hard day's work with the pencil

I've had a busy day with the pencil and I have to say it has been worth it as my portraits are getting much better.  It isn't the same with the watercolour though.   I really am struggling to make any head way with this.   At one stage I was very disappointed with this.  Then I reflected on this and few facts made me feel a whole lot better.  The first is that I have only made half a dozen water colour paintings in my life.  Now if I was a prodigy this might be all I needed but I am not so it is hardly surprising about the limited progress.

The second fact is connected with the first.   It has taken me 3 months of  almost daily practice to make my drawings to start to look half decent.   If I were to commit this amount of time to water colour then hopefully I would be a whole lot better.

The third fact is that drawing and water colour is a different discipline.  This makes me sound like an expert, which I am not, but there is a different skill set between the two as well as different material.   It takes time to master this and as I have said before I just haven't devoted enough time to water colour.

Have reflected on all this one over riding fact is clear.  The more you practice the better you get.  Nothing like stating the obvious!  Because of this I have decided to put the water colour work on the back burner until I attend my drawing and painting course in a couple of weeks.   This should provide me with a firm foundation upon which to build my water colour career.  Conversely it may well prove that I may have no talent in this field at all.  I doubt that.

Now if only I felt a lot better in myself then things would be really humming along.   I hope over the next few days this will change - lets hope. 
 

Simon Marchini LRPS

Posted via email from SIMON's posterous

No comments: